As some of you may know we launched a location based services startup called TriOut in Febarury 2010. Looking back from my years of attending and planning startup weekend events using social media tools to launch a startup of any kind can be great for marketing, planning, customer support and more.
Although TriOut is three months old, Lawrence Ingraham @LawPower (TriOut Founder) started working on TriOut in October of 2009. Fast forward three months later, even though we still have a long way to go I wanted to look back at how we used social media tools to launch and manage TriOut at it’s current state.
Phonebooth (Started with Google Voice, then switch to Phonebooth)
Project Management Documentation:
- Google Wave
- Google Docs
- Google Wave
- Get Satisfaction: http://getsatisfaction.com/triout
- Google Spreadsheet Sign-up Form
- Blue Sky Factory
- WordPress: http://tri-out.com/blog/
- Disqus Comment platform
File Transfer and storage:
- Custom Built http://trioutnc.com/u/widgets.php
- Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/TriOutapp
- Vimeo: http://vimeo.com/triout
- Facebook Fanpage: http://www.facebook.com/TriOutapp
- Google Buzz: http://www.google.com/profiles/trioutapp (new)
- Twitter Accounts: TriOut & TriOut4Biz (New)
- Flick: http://www.flickr.com/photos/triout
- Pre-launch (beta sign-up form)
- New user registration (custom)
- Google Analytics
- Tweets: RowFeeder & Searchtastic
- Google Alerts
- Check-ins: Custom Built
- iPhone app intsalls/downloads – Apple
- Mobile Web check-ins – Custom
Highrise for CRM (customer relationship management)
Social Media Measuring platform: Either or both: Trackur and Argyle Social (supporting local NC startups!)
While I can’t get into how many users we have at the moment here’s some traffic and measurable items from October 2009 to now.
- @TriOut twitter account: 610 followers, listed 77 times
- Facebook Fanpage: 259 fans/likes
- Blog Subscribers:
- Users to date: N/A
- October 2009 35 Beta testers
- February 2010: 200 Beta Testers
- May 2010: Reaching a landmark
Google Analytics chart Visitors Overview from February launch to May 12:
Compete.com unique visitors chart from February to March
* Disclaimer: Phonebooth is a client and I’m a partner with TriOut.
As TriOut continues to grow we’re going to keep a close eye on what works in terms of marketing, communications and productivity.
What online tools do you use to manage your startup or business?