Social media manager at @eWayDirect.
BlogWorld Expo 2009 Session:
Fitting It All In: Time Management Strategies for Social Media
Get organized, figure out where to spend your time
have tangible goals
netvibes – good way to build a dashboard for listening – twitter search, socialmention, boardtracker, google alerts, addictomatic
spend time on 2-3 tools that are valuable – don’t go chasing all of them
measuring and analyzing – it’s a must
social media maturity
Passive – listening 80%, 20% measuring
Responsive – monitoring, responding, measuring
Engaged – monitoring, research, initiating, responding, measuring
Creating – monitoring, research, initiating, responding, measuring and creating
listening – 1 person, 10-15 hrs per week
engaging, initiating, creating – 1-3 team members, 1-3 hrs per day
measuring – 1 person, 5-10 hrs per week
Managing disruptions – turn off twitter, turn off email
1. Limit # of SM monitoring tools
2. Turn email off for a few hours a day. Don’t reply immediately
3. Get a task management program and USE IT. “Think” for Mac
-Pick 3 things you must accomplish and do nothing else until they are done
-Pick the ugliest one first
-Sit down for 2 hrs/day, 5 days a week and focus on blogger (or whatever)
-Allocate blocks of time
5. Give yourself permission to forget – read something and write it down.
6. Unplug – take your offline time
7. Pick a finite number of items to respond to and stick with it. It’s okay to not reply to everything. Get over it.
Amber’s blog post about Social Media Time Management
How do you manage your time using social media?